04 January 2009

Defying the Odds

With our Lily turning 2 soon, we decided to go ahead and remove the safety gate that leads downstairs. I'm not sure who I am more concerned for. Lily seems to be handling the steps just fine, just as Lil Louie. I see him standing at the top of the steps looking down, and leans forward ever so slightly to toss a toy downstairs. I guess he's figured out that it's easier to throw it down than try to attempt to carry it down. It works and he's doing the steps pretty well. He even pushes off of them to go down faster.

Just to clarify he isn't walking up and down the steps. He hasn't figured that one out yet. And to be quite candid I'm not ready for that just yet. But he's going down on his seat and worms his way up on his stomach. I try really hard to offer encouragement. And I try really hard to stay seated when I see him struggling to figure something out. But I watch. And I let him learn.

Some people ask us how he is doing all the things that he does. And one big plus is that Louie is here at home to work with him. But the other thing is that we allow Lil Louie to figure things out himself. I want him to be independent as an adult, so I have to allow him to be independent as a child.

If you are lucky enough to have a special child try to allow them to live as independently as possible. My son is constantly amazing me by defying the odds because we do.

No comments: